Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Introduction









I'm so obsessed, now, with that game. I felt on it last month and it opened me a whole bunch of old souvenirs. I played so much at that game, back in the days... I started it in the last months and I was stunned because almost every player's name remembered me something special deep in my kid life. I played baseball personally for about 8 years in the 90's. Before I felt in love with that game, who came out in 1994, I was a fan of the Baseball Star series on the NES. That game was a mess.; the customizing team mode, the cash you can earn when your team wins season's games, the "cartoon" looking of the players, the Superstar Team, the way you can stole an home run and then able to fall outside of the field, after the catch. (!!!) But when Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball came out, it was THE game every baseball player like me played before and after our "real" baseball game.

I remember calling my friend at 8am (I were 9 or 10 so we woke up early back in those days) and playing until his mother shout "go outside, it's shiny and I won't let you play SNES for the whole afternoon". And when we came outside, we were playing baseball by imitating the hitter's motion from various famous players from the game. I think about Conrad, Ernest, Faulkner, Josh, Mulin, Williams, etc. (because at that time, our season was with the Athletics and with the White Sox) Things I really liked but not restricted to is : the cartoonish hitter's look (those giant arms, or those little skinny legs), the amazing control and catching style that every fielders can made, the voice "Stttttriiiiiike!", the pumping in-game music, the fast general playing style (15 min-game style), the distance of the home runs, the ability to rename as you want every player's name and that green field. In all my career playing, I heard that in-game songs for about thousands and thousands hours. I can't get rid of it. Most of my play time, at this time in my life, was in the 90's with that friend. Consisting seasons with the Athletics, the White Sox (my only 162-games season completed without loosing data) and the Rangers. I remember trying to complete the 162-games season, but each time, something went wrong and the data reseted. (maybe because the cartridge was so much traveled from home to home...) One time, we reached the fact that every fuckin' player's name (National and American) was renamed with the REAL equivalent player. But, like each time we tried to finish a 162-games season, all the data was removed again. I remember my friend seeing that on the screen, taking the 2 controllers away, pitching them against the wall 10 times, until the 2 controllers broke. (he wasn't able to control himself by breaking only one controller...) So, by the year 1998, I entered secondary school and forgot all those moments (and my friend, by the way)... until LAST MONTH.


Since then, I am playing at this game in season and it is fuckin' awesome. More awesome then it was back in the days. I begun to search on the web, googlin' and youtubin' and I was surprised that there were no further information about this game. It was into the comments from the only 3 "videos" of the game that I found out that I wasn't the only person who like this game as hell. I wanted to share the things I know about it. I will post here some screenshots of my lineups, miscellaneous videos, stats and all others stuff related to the game. If you fall here because you are too a fan of that game, put comments!




Welcome to my Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB's blog!






p.s. as you can see/read, my English is not perfect, my doubt; it's my second language. I started to blog it in English
because I wanted to reach the most people possible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty sweet game; I'm still playing it with the Rangers. What I do is pitch the same pitcher every game. I have the starter go 0.1 innings and then bring in the same reliever. He is 26-3 with a 2.07 ERA.

Crash said...

I'm glad I found this blog. I have a similar history with the game, except I only own the cart since about a month ago. I love it to death, The music, the graphics, the animation, the controls, the "feel" you mentioned with a few select hitters. I even love just checking the stats from every team and seeing the players' "hot or not" colors. I found out that no matter the color, POW is far more important that BAT. BAT means nothing at all. In the Yankees for exemple, Queens sucks while Harlem is amazing, and Queens has something like BAT 9 and POW 3, while Harlem has low BAT but a 10 in POW. His other stats are weak, and he has a cool color, but who cares when he takes it out the park all the time? As a fellow québecker, I use the Expos and they're pretty good! Good hitters overall, great pitching and an okay defense, even though a few of them are too slow. En tout cas, continue ton blogue, c'est bien de savoir que je suis pas le seul fou qui reste au Québec à jouer à Ken Griffey.